I‘ve called Life Time Fitness my gym home since 2000 but last year I was swayed by a newer XSport Fitness in my area. Now, I can thankfully say that I’ve been a pleased member from opening day at each location.
Since I’m continually asked to offer my opinion by friends and since, in this past week, referred two people these gyms, I thought I’d take some time to compare the two. Both individuals I referred told me my reviews of each were dead on so I’m offering them here.
**Please note, these are my own observations based on my own experiences only . Furthermore, I’ve kept my comparisons fairly general here to be as fair and objective as possible. Come visit for yourself – you won’t be disappointed at either one.**
My Conclusion: Both facilities offer their own special amenities and I will be keeping both memberships. Here’s why:
LIFE TIME FITNESS:
– More family-oriented. (more organized kid activities, organized birthday parties, swim classes, etc)
– More pool. There is both an outdoor and indoor pool; both indoor and outdoor pools at Life Time offer water slides, a lounge area, and small cafes. There is one indoor lap pool available at XSport. A perk to the lap pool at XSport – it is more out-of-way from the rest of the club, allowing for more privacy and serious swim.
– More organized groups and team activities (running clubs, rock climbing classes, yoga events, yoga instructor courses, etc)
– More varied free-weights. 7lb, 12.5 and 17.5 are currently absent at my XSPort.
– More cafe. Life Time offers a full menu of shakes, breakfast, lunch and dinner items. Very nice place to sit down and/or sneak in some work in-between workouts.
OVERALL: Life Time Fitness seems to be geared toward both the serious, the want-to-be serious, and the weekend warriors alike. I see more souls of all ages, shapes and sizes at Life Time. It is a great place to meet like-minded fitness folks!!! I’m lucky to say I’ve met a select few of my life-long friends there.
– More advanced equipment. At the entry level gym facilities such as mine, for instance, the Power Plate is available.
– More one-on-one training sessions. I see the personal trainers at my XSport working hard with individuals any hour – very late or very early.
– More store. XSport offers clothing, protein powders, accessories such as locks, headphones, etc.
– More salon amenities. Tanning beds and spray tans are offered at XSport.
– Side Note: The XSport that I frequent plays the BEST music – my all-time favorites included. This may seem minor but music plays a significant motivator. 😉
OVERALL, XSport seems to be geared toward the more serious fitness buff. I notice more male and female clientele who compete regularly although there are folks of all fitness goals at the club. Additionally, XSport is a great ‘get-in/get-out/get the workout done’ gym. There literally is not as much room to roam – it’s not a social hour, it’s an exercise hour. Gym class for adults!!!
BOTH FITNESS CLUBS:
– open 24 hours
– friendly, helpful staff
– ultra- clean facilities
– comprehensive, state-of-the-art cardio equipment
– great places to be!!
It doesn’t hurt to try both out and see what you think. I believe that both offer – at the very minimum – a one-day pass to check out the facilities. 🙂