BEST Slow-Cooked Turkey Lasagna
A slow-cooked meal is a gift from your early self to your later self. This one makes the house smell extra scrumptious.
I made this for the first time this Christmas season. I discovered it in my latest issue of “Muscle and Fitness Hers” (Jan/Feb issue) so you know it’s healthful!! My family members tried something new this year. Rather than exchange material gifts (except for the young ones, of course), we took turns preparing special dinners for each other. Here is what I decided to make . . . it is a definite repeater. It is, in fact, the best lasagna I’ve made – and it’s healthful, on top of it!!
Slow-Cooked Turkey Lasagna
~ 6 – 8 whole wheat or whole grain lasagna noodles
~ 12 oz 99% fat free ground turkey
~ 1/4 cup red cooking wine
~ 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
~ 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
~ 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
~ 6 oz low-fat part skim mozzarella cheese
~ 6 oz can tomato paste
~ 29 – 32 oz tomato sauce
~ 1 cup chopped white onion
~ 2 tsp minced garlic cloves
~ 2 tbsp dried parsley (divided)
~ Mrs. Dash to taste (or whatever spices you have on hand!!)
~ 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1. Heat large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook ground turkey, onion, and garlic until turkey is browned.
2. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, Mrs. Dash and 1 tbsp of parsley to meat mixture.
3. Simmer for a few minutes on low. Remove from heat. Stir in cooking wine and set aside.
4. In another bowl, combine all cheeses with remaining parsley and nutmeg.
5. Spoon one layer of turkey mixture across bottom of slow cooker.
6. Add one layer of dry lasagna noodles (you will need to break them to fit in slow cooker)
7. Add a layer of cheese followed by a layer of cooked turkey.
8. Repeat steps 5 – 7.
9. Top lasagna with a pinch of parsley, cheese, and 1 – 2 tbsp of red cooking wine.
10. Cook on low in slow cooker for 7 – 8 hours.