People love to complain, rant, and rave – my students are no exception. I use this lesson early on in the year to get them warmed up to writing. They rarely experience brain freezes for this one!
What Bugs Me . . .*
- Talking loudly on cell phones at inappropriate times and places
- Shopping on the day after Thanksgiving and the day after Christmas
- Subscription cards that fall out of magazines
- People who lose all manners to get a parking space
- Filling my car with gas
- Drivers who don’t observe the rules of the road and crash into your less than 2 month old car!!!!
- People who say “ta” instead of “to.”
- People who update their FB status 12 times a day.
. . . You get the picture!
YOUR TURN TO RANT AND RAVE –
- Brainstorm a list of at least ten things that bug you.
- Choose ONE to write about.
- Type a one-page description of why this particular issue/item/etc. bugs you.
There! Doesn’t that feel good to get that off your chest?!?
adapted from Kelly Gallagher’s Teaching Adolescent Writers